Friday, January 22, 2021

Chapter 22: It all ends here




She runs deep into the woods. She runs as fast as she can, barefoot and cannot feel the stones that was punching her soft skinned feet. She saw them bleed as she stumbled on a log that is on her way as she tried to look back if she is still being chased.

She sits on the big roots of the tree that is covered by thick moss. Trying to patch up the wound, trying to stopped the bleeding, trying to ease the pain that she is feeling right now.

She tear her clothes to cover her wounded foot and stand up as she needs to hurry before they catch her.

Numb and weak, she walks forward not knowing the right place to be. She is lost in the middle of the forest. 

The forest is full of darkness, they said. They said it is filled with creatures that were supposed to eat human soul. Full of monsters that will have no second thought of killing each other. Her village told her before during one of their feast that this forest is as bad as hell. She cannot even imagine how would that forest look until she reached.

Looking for the end of the forest maybe is the only way out. The sun is setting and she needs a place to stay for tonight - as she thinks she needs to be safe at night because 'they' would be awake and eat her alive.

Right now, all she thinks is her safety. 

There is a cave that she saw in the corner of her eyes. Feeling cold and exhausted, she entered.

As she is near the cave, she saw a light. Someone or something was there.

She hesitated.

But she thought, there is nothing to lose anyway. What else is worst that what she is feeling right now?

The cave feels warm.

She sat near the fire place. She tried to make herself comfortable.

Creature: Hey.

She was startled.

She: I'm sorry.

C: For?

S: invading.

C: It is a big cave anyway.

S: okay.

C: So what brings you here?

S: in the cave?

C: In this forest.

S: I...I run away.

C: from?

S: people.

C: oh.The town said this place is dangerous.

S: Yes. I heard.

C: You aren't scared?

S: I am.

C: then? If you knew this place might hurt you, why did you still decided to come?

S: I don't know. I have been scared my whole life. I didn't think of the consequences when I entered this forest and I just ran. Ran from everything that keeps hurting me.

C: Things will still hurt you here in the forest.

S: Yes I know.

Silence covered the whole cave.

She tried to have a glimpse of the creature that she was talking to. The creature seems older than her. Her skin is as pale as the white clouds above. Her hair is as long as the river that flows from the other side of the village. It was wavy but shiny. Her lips were as red as the cherry that she used to pick on their backyard. She seems normal but there is something on her eyes.

C: You are hurt.

The creature pointed at her feet. She forgot about it.

S: I tripped.

C: If you would not take care of yourself here, the woods will kill you.

S: I am aware of that already.

The creature walks towards in front of her. Examined her. Checks her wound and then vanished.

A moment later, it came back with some leaves and put it on the wounded feet.

C: This will make it better.

S: Thank you.

S: You look familiar.

C: Most people say that. A lot of people who were lost in this forest says the same thing when they enter this cave.

S: How long have you been here?

C: I can't remember. Been here for a while.

S: Still cannot find your way out?

C: I have. but I choose to be here. brings me the peace of mind that I need.

S: But they said...

C: this forest is hell?

She nodded.

C: Well I bet they have not experience to be here.

S: Can I stay here?

C: All we have are choices. You chose to run away from whatever hurts you bad. You decided to run even if it will wound you. You choose uncertainty over the constant pain that you have been receiving for the past years, God knows how much. I do not think I am in the position to answer that.

S: They kept on saying that I always run. Running is what I do best, they said. But it looks different on the way I see it. I just tried to protect myself, before I lose everything I had. It feels like I am fading away and I do not want. I want to live.

C: You do not need to explain as long as you know yourself.

S: All these years I have been explaining. I have been trying to make everyone happy but it feels like it is not enough.

C: it is ok. it all ends here now.

She stares on the fire and she found herself feeling tired and calm at the same time. She feels safe. Safe by her own company.

S: the forest is not that bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment